Experience the excitement of fossil prospecting while hiking through the Park’s spectacular terrain in search of dinosaur bones and other fossil remains. Prospect for fossils just like the professionals, learning where to look and what to look for as you explore the breath-taking Alberta badlands.
Each excursion is guided by an experienced park staff and explores a different area of the park. Although you will discover fossils, no digging is involved and all material will be left in the park.
- Lunch is provided during this 6.5 hour program.
- This program is rate as “difficult” with hiking approximately 5-8km over rough terrain.
- The Fossil Prospecting program is not wheelchair accessible.
- This program is available for those 14 years and older. Participants 14-17 years old must be accompanied by a paying adult.
- There is a maximum capacity of 8 participants per day.
- For your comfort and safety, please bring at least 2 litres of water, a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen and insect repellent.
- Sturdy hiking boots are required. Breathable long pants and long sleeved shirt are recommended.
- The program starts at the Visitor Centre. Participants then travel by park vehicle into various backcountry locations to begin the hike.
- No smoking is allowed on tours, including on and off the park bus.
- No dogs or other pets allowed on tour programs.